Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Happy 14th Birdthday DD1!

14 years ago today at 11:03 a.m., I was lying in a hosptial bed in northern Virginia with DH beside me after having pushed for 2 1/2 hours when the OB said that he was going to prep me for a c-section. So they halled me out of the nice comfy birthing room to a sterile operating room and had me lie on a narrow cold table. The OB pulled out these looong forceps and told me to push one more time. I pushed like a mad-woman being deathly afraid of having to deliver by c-section. The OB pulled out a bloody, white-pasty covered baby with a tiny little scratch by her eye where the forceps had nicked her skin. I remember touching her hand as the nurse held her up for me to see, and DH crying saying she was amazing.

The next thing I remember is crying out to the OB because whatever was happening "down there" hurt so badly. They whisked my baby away, and gave me something to knock me out. After that I woke up in the recovery room with DH and DD1 beside me. DD1 was sleeping in her bassinet, and I remember the first words out of my mouth were "Is she cute?"

I slept for another couple of hours before being moved back to a room in the maternity ward, and that was how my sweet little DD1 came into this world. There's lots more to this story about the day DD1 was born that is both funny and painful to remember, but the most blessed result of that day was that DD1 joined our family. Now 14 years later, we are still blessed to have her as our daughter!

I'll post photos of her then and today a little later, but for now, I just want to relish in the fact that this amazing daughter of mine is the one I have to thank for allowing me to say "I am a mother", which is something I wanted more than anything in the whole wide world! Thank you DD1, and happy 14th birthday!

No comments: