Friday, April 18, 2008

5.4 Earthquake or wait 5.2

I wanted to document when the earthquake of 2008 hit, where we were and what we were doing, so that in the following years I'll remember. So here's goes.

This morning at about 5:40 a.m. I was laying in bed waiting to get up to wake up the two older girls to have them get ready for school, when I felt the shaking. The bed shook and the windows rattled. It really wasn't bad, but initially I didn't know what was happening. I got out of bed trying to figure it out (not that I knew how to figure it out?!), and then got back in bed figuring it was earthquake. A few minutes later DD2 came and knocked on the bedroom door. When I told her to come in, she opened the door and asked me what happened. I said I didn't know, but thought it was an earthquake. She asked me if it was a tornado. I reassured her that the skies were clear, so no it wasn't a tornado. She went back to bed, although I don't think she or DD1 went back to sleep.

When we turned on the tv, it was obvious that yes, it was an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4 on the Richter scale. That seems like a pretty big earthquake, but on the news I heard that you don't really seem too much damage until you get to a 6.0.

So we started our morning out with a shake-up! It wasn't really scary, but was a little confusing just because none of us had ever felt anything like it before. DH is in LA, so of course, wouldn't have felt it. It's funny that he's in the part of the country where you hear about earthquakes happening all the time, and the girls and I are the ones that experienced an earthquake! Kind of ironic I think.

The epicenter of the earthquake was in West Salem, IL. I'm thankful that there appears that there is no major damage, and that noone was hurt.

Update: Now they are saying it was only a 5.2 not a 5.4. I'm not sure how much difference that makes, but just wanted to make sure I got it right!

No comments: