Saturday, October 25, 2008

Patsy's retirement party


Because we've had 600 salaried employees either laid off or forced to retire, there have been lots of going away parties. The first round was for those whose last day was October 1. The next big wave is going to be those whose last day is November 1, and the last wave is those whose last day is December 1.


There's a woman that I've known for 13 of the 14 years I've been at my job. I met her when she worked in the training department as the education coordinator, and since April I've shared a cubicle with her. She is a dear sweet woman that was widowed at a young age, and chose to raise her sons by herself. She was one of the "forced to retire" people. She's only 57, so very young to be retired, and she was not really prepared financially to do so. We threw her a retirement party at work with her sons and friends from all over. She had a great time, and I think it really meant alot to her. She's been gone now for a couple of weeks, and I've all alone in my cubicle. It's been hard adjusting to not having Patsy to talk with everyday to share our lives and stories. I miss her.


I heard that she's spending this time to fix up her house to sell it, and then she's going to start looking for a job to be able to make ends meet until she can truly retire. I wish her well. This photo is of she and I at her party. One of her sons took the photo. She does look happy, doesn't she?

No comments: