Thursday, August 2, 2007

Spicy!

You may have heard, like we have, that Chongqing has spicy food. Well, we got to try some of that today at lunch in the form of a hot pot. I'd never heard of a hot pot, but DH asked Alison about it yesterday, and she and Michael took us to a local restaurant for lunch to experience it. And it is an experience. Before I tell you about the hot pot, let me fill you in on the rest of what's been happening.

Grace had a rough afternoon yesterday. She was a little bit constipated, and was spitting up quite a bit. We think that feeding her the steamed egg that the Chinese locals keep pushing on us to feed her caused the constipation. So we decided no more steamed egg, at least for now. As far as the spitting up, I'm not sure what caused that. I fed her a tiny bit of mashed banana for breakfast. That could've been it, but I don't really know. So again, no more banana for a little while.

Last night was a quiet one in our room. After Gracie woke up from her nap around 5, she was so fussy that I thought maybe a walk in the stroller around town might help her feel better. She loved the walk, but we were stared at alot. I wasn't really expecting what happened when we went walking, DH and me with Gracie in the stroller. It's not that I didn't expect stares. I did, but what I didn't expect was the lack of smiles or anything else. We got alot of dead stares. Noone talked to us, and noone said anything to Gracie. They would see us walking, and then look down into the stroller to see if there was a Chinese baby in it or not. Of course there was. I don't know if this is typical or not, but it made me feel uncomfortable. Anyway, after about a 20 minute walk we went back into the hotel. We had Pizza Hut pizza for dinner. I had the veggie lovers which was quite good. It had lots of different kinds of veggies you'd expect to be on a veggie lovers pizza, but no black olives (which was fine with me because I do not like olives!). It did have corn and pineapple on it. Sounds strange, but it tasted good! Anyway, after that it was an early night for all of us. We turned in around 9:30 or so.

Today started out well. Gracie woke up at about 3 and went back to sleep until 7:30. We went to the Flying Tiger Museum and had traditional Chinese scrolls for each of the girls done by an artist that was right there in the museum. They are quite beautiful! After the museum we headed to the restaurant for the hot pot.

I know I said that I'd tell you all aboutthe hot pot experience, but I'm going to stop here for this post, as it's getting quite long. I'll fill you all in on the hot pot and hopefully have more pictures next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you all are having a great time. I hope you don't mind I would like to tell my readers/friends about your journal and hope they will visit you with well wishes. I will do this here in the next couple of days. I hope you don't mind as your journal is public I guess it'll be okay.
Take care, Chrissie