Thursday, August 2, 2007

Walmart, Chinese style!

It seems like every Chinese adoption blog has at least one post about Walmart. Here's mine. We went to one of 3 Walmarts in Chongqing Wednesday morning. It was an experience. As you would expect, there are many similarities between our US Walmarts and the Chinese Walmarts. There are also many differences.

The biggest difference is in the meat section of the Super Walmart we went to. As you can see from the photos, you can buy squid, duck, and many other delicacies we didn't partake in. They also had something called a flying pancake. It's a dough-like thing that a person behind the counter stretches into a square sort of like pizza dough, but very very thin pizza dough. Once it's stretched to about a 12 to 16 inch square, filling is put on top. There are different types of fillings that are used, we saw a vegetable filling in one and a pineapple filling in another. Then the flying pancake is closed and fried. I didn't see if it was deep fried or pan fried, but it is definitely fried. One of our families bought a pineapple one and gave all of us a taste. I didn't try it, as I don't like pineapple, but DH and Dad did. They both thought it was tasty. I think if we have an opportunity to try it again with some other filling, I definitely will! Here are a few photos of Walmart. I should mention that we were told later by our guide, Alison, that Walmart doesn't like photos taken in their store. Apparently they are afraid of competition seeing them. Dad was never told he couldn't take them, although he was given a dirty look by one guy. It didn't stop Dad though. You should also know they didn't take our Mastercard, so we paid with yuan.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too cool. I will definately have to share this entry with my readers. They all love Walmart. Glad you took the pictures even though you aren't suppose to. I didn't even know there was a Walmart there wait til I tell my best friend she can put in for a job transfer to China...LoL. Thanks for sharing.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

interesting

Anonymous said...

Hi there , Chrissie sent me over to see some pictures.
Congratulations on your baby, she's so adorable. I enjoyed the WalMart pictures.
Best of Luck and God Bless !
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Chrissie sent me....i have worked 12 yrs for WM in Ohio......a year and a half now in the deli...so this is fascinating for me. That Chinese SC sure is well stocked and looks clean. I have you on alerts and will be back. Your daughter is beautiful!
lisa

Anonymous said...

Mary,

Grace is beautiful.  I just found your blog after seeing your post.  We loved Chongqing, even though it was gray, rainy, and cold when we were there.  We laughed at the "Furnace" nickname.  I'm sure you're feeling it though.

We loved hot pot, too.  Our rings were opposite though with the chicken broth in the small center and the spicy in the outer ring.  We went to one in the mall beneath our hotel.  We stayed at the hotel right across the street from the CAB.  

I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.  It's great to see another Chongqing baby in Indiana.

Anonymous said...

Mary,
I was sent over by Chrissie (I'm so glad that she recommended your journal). Grace is so beautiful and a perfect addition to your family. Your daughters will be wonderful big sisters to her. Congratulations to you and your husband.
June