Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving weekend 2008

These are a few photos from our Thanksgiving weekend.

















Well, another Thanksgiving is over. This year was a tad different than other years, because we didn't actually have any turkey at all on Thanksgiving Day because we were travelling. We left home in the morning and arrived at my father's around 2. We thought we would stop for a quick lunch on the way, but we had a very difficult time finding anything open between her and my dad's. When we arrived, we saw that Subway was open until 2, and luckily it was 1:55! So we quickly went inside and order our sandwiches.
So our Thankgiving Dinner consisted of a cold cut combo sub for DD1, a chicken salad sub for DD2, a spicy Italian sub for me, and a foot long tuna sub for DH. Gracie was asleep, so we left in her in the car with DD1 while we ordered our food to go. We ate when we got to Dad's. He was just returning from my sisters' where he'd eaten a more traditional turkey dinner with her family. My brothers' family came over later to spend the rest of the weekend with us. They had spent the day with my sister-in-law's family.

Friday morning some of us went out shopping for Black Friday deals. DD2, DD1, my sister, my niece, arrived at Walmart at 4:55 a.m. just before the employees cut off the black plastic that was wrapped around all the deals. I was looking for toys for our family gift exchange and maybe a few things for Grace and the older girls.

I snagged a cart from one of the employees, and we set off. First thing we got was a big flat screen tv for my niece. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten my cell phone at home, and my sister had forgotten to charge her phone the night before. So we had two cell phones, DD1's and my neice's to keep us connected. If it weren't 5 a.m. in the morning, we probably wouldn've had a better plan than the one we had, which was for me to stay with the cart and everyone else was to go out looking. I was stuck in a crowd of people. I could literally not move. There were people in front of me, people to the right of me, people behind me, and on the left of me was a big pile of toys. I was blocked in. I didn't know where everyone else was, and we didn't have a plan for how to meet up. So I just waited, and waited, and waited. I finally decided that I'd get out of the mess, walked down the side of the store and try to meet up with everyone in a place where there were fewer people. I waited at the new location for about 15 minutes, and finally my sister found me. Everyone was up at the checkouts. Checkingout turned out to be the longest part of our shopping experience at Walmart. We finally abandoned our cart and checked out at the Jewelry department counter. It seemed like we were in the store for 3 or 4 hours, when in truth it was really only an hour and a half.
Our next stop was Target, which was alot less crowded. We then went to Marshalls which was even less crowded. It was about that time, that I started to fade. We ended up being out for about 3 maybe 4 hours, but I was pooped out! It was a fun, but tiring time. The remainder of the day we rested. We had our Thanksgiving dinner at Old Country Buffet, and headed back to my dad's to relax.

Saturday was yet another shopping day. This time we went to the mall, and we had Grace, my twin 8 year old nieces, my sister, DD1 and DD2 in towe. Our first stop was JC Penneys where Grace got a stuffed rudolph, DD1 got her Winter Dance Dress, and the rest of the girls just window shopped. My sister got a gift card at Holister, and we met up with my sister-in-law for lunch at the food court. We had a good time, just us girls. Later we met back up with the guys, had pizza for dinner, and then watched Ironman. A pretty quiet day.

Today we heard that there was a mix of snow and ice coming so we left early to head back home. We got home around 2, unpacked the car, and put Gracie down for a nap. Tommorrow it's back to work, school and daycare for all of us.







No comments: