Monday, May 7, 2007

So Am I being Paranoid and Overprotective?

Here's what happened. DD1 whose 13, walks or rides by car to the school bus stop everyday at 6:40 a.m. We ALWAYS go with her, either DH or me. I thought we went with her so that we knew she'd be safe. There have been some reports of girls 13 and 14 being abducted all over the US. Some of those abductions and rapes have been pretty close, within a 35 to 40 mile range away from us. So I'm NOT going to let my little girl walk to the bus stop (even though our house is 3 houses away from the corner where she catches that bus). So DH this morning crawls back into bed at 6:35, saying DD1 agreed to walk to the bus stop herself. I got right out of bed, and said "I DON'T want her going down there by herself!" He replies back " D. will be there with her." D. is a 14 year old boy that lives on the corner. Well, he's not always there. It's hit or miss on whether he'd be there or not. Side note: He wasn't there. DH also said "It's only one day." My response to that was "It only takes one time. Why take the risk" She too precious to me to take this risk, even if it's a small risk.

Of course everything went fine. Noone stopped to talk with us, although a few neighbors waved as they drove by on their way to work. It even was pretty light out now that summer is just around the corner. So am I being too overprotective? If you read this, post and tell me what you think. Oh, and BTW, no matter how many opinions I receive that I am being overprotective, it won't change me being adamant about going with DD1 to the bus stop!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you'll get no argument from me. I drove and picked up my children everyday and took a few other with me too. Better to be safe than sorry.
You'll have to excuse me, but I'm kinds walking all through your entries... not commenting on everything. Oh I remember now where I found your link on the Journals Main Page.
Take care, Chrissie